Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:19:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Russell Ingram <rfi@ws098.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Automounter for FreeBSD & DNS question

I've been integrating a FreeeBSD machine into our environment in my spare
time. I'm using FreeBSD version 2.2.2. Everything has been working quite
well I've only run into two issues:

	1. I can't find the equivalent to Sun's automounter on FreeBSD.
	   Is there one?

	2. I'm using DNS. When I address a machine that's in the hosts file
	   I get a message on the console (as in this time I tried to do a
	   ping to ws098):

		Jan 24 14:31:28 rtss12 ping : gethostby*. gethostanswer: asked
		for "ws098", got"ws098.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM"

	   the ping then works. If the machine is not in the hosts file I
	   get the same message on the console and the ping returns:

		ping: unknown host ws151

	   Is there some way to tell FreeBSD to ignore the domain added to
	   the machine name. The Suns and other unix machines don't exhibit
	   this behavior.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

					Thanks
					Russell.Ingram@SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM