Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:43:53 -0800
From:      Darcy Buskermolen <darcy@ok-connect.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xl0 won't autoneg full duplex

At 10:23 AM 12/21/99 +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
>I've got a <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> plugged into a Cisco Cat5500
>100Mbps switch, and I'm been running various 3.x versions from 3.0-RELEASE
up
>to the 3.4-RC from 13/12.
>
>This card is happy to run in Full Duplex mode if I force it with ifconfig. If
>left to autonegotiate with the switch, the xl0 comes up 100Mbps/half-duplex,
>but the switch comes up full duplex.  Hence I get lotsa collisions (~20%).

I see the same kind of details connecting the 3c905B to a catalist 1900
series, however I can't force it into Full duplex mode. This problem is
present in both 2.2.8 and 3.3-stable. I'm pretty much convinced that it is
a cisco thing because the cisco can't sync full duplex to an Allied Telesyn
MS400 Switch. The 3c908B can sync to the Allied Telesyn at 100Mb FD fine.