Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:56:12 +0100
From:      Michael Haertl <michael.haertl@gmx.net>
To:        Tadimeti Keshav <keshav_tadimeti@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT:how to down load i386 ISOs?

Tadimeti Keshav wrote:
> Specifically, I want to know how to save the file.
> When I right click & try to save the file it tries to
> save it as '4.4-install'. Should I append '.iso' to
> make it look like '4.4-install-iso'?

The name is not critical. And you can always rename it
after downloading.

It depends on your cd burning program if it accepts a
file without the extension *.iso.

> > Q2: What is the file CHECKSUM.MD5 for? Should I
> > download this also?

This file is optional. It contains a short ascii-string
of the md5-checksum of the iso-image (just for
verification purposes). If you run the command

md5 <isofilename>      or sometimes
md5sum <isofilename>

on a unix-box then you should get the same checksum
string printed out after a while.

HTH

--
/* Michael Haertl */