Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:25:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      User Land <userland@techie.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, danny@ricin.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: rc & ntp weirdness

>> It seemed that rc.firewall wasn't properly sourcing
>>/etc/defaults/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf.

>Not surprising. source(1) is a csh'ism and rc.firewall is a sh
>script. Try it like,

$ sh rc.firewall

Ah, that does the trick. Thank you.

>> But no time adjustments are ever made, and /etc/ntp.drift
>>doesn't get created.

>How do you know that ntpd is not doing anything?
Over several (about 10 days, actually), there were no time
adjustments logged in /var/log/messages, and ntp.drift never got
created.

I was able to use ntpdc to talk to the local server, but, not
knowing what exactly to look for, I'm not sure what to do.

I have a FreeBSD 4.1 machine with exactly the same rc.conf
directives for ntpd and the same ntp.conf file, and it functions
as I expect: time adjustments a couple of times per day.

My CPU seems to be clocked correctly, so I don't think I need to
add anything to my kernel, but, I'm a bit lost.

Thanks for any tips!