Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:19:41 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        stan <stanb@awod.com>
Subject:   Re: Help making second disk bootable

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 02:41:58PM -0500, stan wrote:
> I Broke so much stuff with last weekends atempt at upgrading the base system
> and ports, that after fighting with it all week, all I really want is
> my machine back to the state it was in on last Friday :-(
>
> here is what I have:
>
> 1. A good set of Amanda backups.
> 2. A machine with several disk, everythign including /usr/local
>    is on ad0, and ad1 is an identical disk.
>
> Here is my plan.

OK, you keep talking about ads1. Do you really mean ad1s1?

> 1. Use sysinstall to partion ads1 (done. I could not get it to
>    partion just like ad1, but all the "auto" created partions are
>    at least big enough, and I'm really wanting to wind up back on
>    ads0, anyway).
> 2. Restore all 3 partions on ads1 (/, /var, usr). (runing as I type
>    this).

What do you mean by "restore?" If you can restore from your backups at
this point, I don't see what the rest of the steps are for.

> 3. Make ads1 bootable (How do I do this?).

Provided your BIOS is OK with booting from this drive, you just need
to put the boot blocks on it. See the '-B' option of disklabel(8) and
fdisk(8).

> 4. Reboot, coming up on ads1.
> 5. Mount the 3 paritions of ads1, and do a rm -rf on them ( will I
>    get burned by symlinks here?).

Uhhh... You boot onto ad1s1 and then rm(1) everything on it? Huh?

> 6. Uisng tar copy all 3 paritions of ads1 to the respective paritions
>    of ads0. (Any risks of permissions, sticky bit loss here?) (tar cvpf -
>    | tar xpf -).

Definate risk of losing permissions.

> 7. Reboot using adsi (happy ending?).

"adsi?" Wha'?

> Can anyone see any problems with this strategy? Is there a safer one?

If you are considering ad0s1 a complete loss, I'd just do an install
of 4.5-RELEASE, or whatever -RELEASE might be handy if you have some
release media, boot into single-user mode after the install, and then
untar your backups right over it.