Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:52:16 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org, mb@imp.ch
Subject:   StarOffice woes on 4.4RC

It seems that the staroffice port fails to install properly under 4.4.  I
have tried it on all three of the thus-far-official 4.4 RC's, and in every
case it fails at exactly the same place with exactly the same error.

the port extracts OK.
the port claims it patches OK.

but on "make install" after the message, when it tries to actually run the
Setup.bin, imediately after the "glibc version 2.1.1" message, make fails
with error code 1.  Sorry I don't have the exact text as the root account
isn't set up to do email, however, there is no further infromation than
"error code 1 (ignored)....it appears that the program has failed to
install....STOP in /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52/work/office52"

In /var/log/messages I get:
Aug 30 19:05:14 c1828785-a /kernel: pid 748 (setup.bin), uid 0: exited on
signal 11 (core dumped)

I know that there has been much discussion about signal 11 possibly
indicating bad RAM, however, buildworld doesn't seem to mind, even with -j6,
I haven't had any trouble.  I know, I know...it's not receommended, and
rebuild with no -j before reporting any problems (which I also did); I just
offer that as a counterexample, that my RAM seems OK, becuase the "usual"
culprit where failed RAM modules are discovered doesn't get touched.  Also, I
have yet to locate the setup.bin.core file which *should* be there as
indicated by the (core dumped) tag, and haven't been able to find it anywhere
on my system.

I know it isn't "just" the port, becuase when I tried downloading the file
directly from Sun, it fails similarly.  The biggest difference is that using
Sun's file, I can't even get it to extract.  Executing the .bin file created
by the download reports the glibc version ("Glibc version 2.1.2") and then
uncerimoniously dumps me back the the command prompt.  The same message is
generated into /var/log/messages.

I'm pretty sure it's not in the Linuxulator (which was my first suspicion)
becuase 1) linux-opera works great (I tried installing that to see what would
happen) and 2) the ports version of the "extract" portion actually works.

I have tried this with the latest RC, (RC#2) just cvsupped a day or so ago,
the previous version (RC#1) cvsupped about a week prior and the first RC,
which was my initial reinstall-from-scratch to fix stupid disk partioning
decisions.  Previous to that, I had staroffice working fine on 4.3-stable,
although I installed it initially under the 4.1 point release (4.1.1?) and
hadn't had to reinstall since then....but the actual program binaries ran
fine.  I also have tried this with GENERIC (which brought the original
install kernel in)  as well as my own kernel.

So (finally) I come to The Question:  what am I missing?  am I doing
something obviously stupid?  Is it just me??  Or is thre something seriously
wrong with Sun/Linux compatibility under 4.4 that needs to be looked at?
Suggestions?  Comments?  Flames?   Dmesg, uname, etc are available, but this
is long enough without them, I don't want to waste everyone's bandwidth, if
you think looking them over will help you diagnose my problem, just ask
privately.

I copied it to ports becuase at this point it isn't clear ifit is a -stable
issue or a problem with the port, and I did file a pr on it a couple of days
ago, which went to ports.

Any (useful) suggestions are welcome.  If someone can point me to a date flag
to set cvsup to, that I can grab an older version of stable, I'm willing to
do that.  I don't have the time to go back one day at a time myself and try
to pinpoint the date this breakage happened (the process would likely take me
about 24 hours/cycle, which means if I have to go back 10 days in the
repository, it would take me 10 days to find it...by then we are supposed to
have the "real" release done....)

TIA for any help

mike