Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:13:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UMASS USB bug? (getting the Sony disk-on-key device working).

:
:>     Note that my other UMASS device, a compact flash reader, has always
:>     worked fine with just the Quirk entry.  I really need a USB expert to
:>     tell me what is going on :-)
:
:The problem is that an umass bulk only umass device is allowed to stall the
:comunication pipe on an invalid command.
:I got the impression that the umass driver doesn't clear the pipe on
:errors.
:
:--
:B.Walter              COSMO-Project         http://www.cosmo-project.de

    In my traces I did occassionally see a command wind up in a STALLED
    state, but most of the time it either wound up in a BABBLE state or
    in a NAK state and hit the 5 second timeout.

    Since I removed the conditional (the #if 0 in the patch I posted
    earlier), I have not seen either state.

    These problems always occured while the CAM layer was probing the
    device (e.g. doing a READ CAPACITY, telling the lower layer to not
    allow user removal (as if that helps)).  Once the CAM layer was
    actually able to get past that state the actual READs and WRITEs
    worked fine with just the Quirk entry, before my #if 0 patch.  Prior
    to the patch it took a lot of random pulling of the device, putting
    it back in, pulling it again, putting it back in, camcontrol reset 1,
    camcontrol rescan 1, that sort of thing, before I would either get
    the device to work or the system would panic :-).  After the patch
    everything works fine (though I'm sure pulling the device without
    unmounting it first will still lead to problems similar to those
    describde by Frode).

    p.s. the patch was against -stable.  -current was crashing on me
    too much while playing with the disk key, but I'm sure it applies
    to -current too.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>