Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 03:53:32 -0400
From:      "ro0t" <root@unixhideout.com>
To:        <akbeech@sinbad.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: any idea what this means?

On Monday 24 June 2002 11:13 pm, ro0t wrote:

  ad0s1d: hard error reading fsbn 135917743 of 29169720-29169723 (ad0s1 bn
  135917743; cn 8460 tn 124 sn 31) status=59 error=40
  I have never gotten this error before, is it the hard disk failing? if so
  why is it just one partition doing it? please respond to
  root@unixhideout.com as i am not on the list. Thanks.

  That's not a good sign. It's not unusual for HD problems to start on one
  partition. I would back up your drive and also check your cables for
  tightness.

    Beech

  Well i figured it wasn't a good sign. I tried "badsect" and it didnt do me
much good. I just hate to toss a 60 gig drive in the trash. But now more
blocks are just failing. This system has been running a year without any
errors. When i bought the motherboard, i bought the "ABIT KT7A-RAID" for
future plans, looks like the future is now. ill buy dual drives and raid it
up. Now im only left with the decision of whether to buy yet *more* maxtor
drives. It appears at least from my experience that the only hard drives
that permanently die on me in what seems a short time is maxtor drives.. My
seagate is still kicking like a champ. Any suggestions on what new brand i
buy? =] And lastly thanks for your response.