Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:56:43 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trafshow doesn't work?

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 01:03:58PM -0400, Sam Xie wrote:
> Out of da blue Matthew West aka (mwest@uct.ac.za) said:
> >
> > Have you created the bpf devices in /dev?
> >
> Yes! There are 4 bpfs in /dev, they are bpf0, bpf1, bpf2, bpf3.
> Thanks  for your quick reply and help!
> Sam

It has to be compiled into the kernel too.  On 4.0 its around line
number 217 of /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC  kernel config file.

Directions at:
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/networking.html#AEN3233
Q: Why do I get ``/dev/bpf0: device not configured''?

You should check out:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/securing-freebsd.html
8.3.5. Securing the Kernel Core, Raw Devices, and Filesystems

Before enabling it.