Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:24:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      Graeme Cross <graeme@babylon.wsc.monash.edu.au>
To:        Francisco Morales Iraagorri <fmorales@reuna.cl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEW USER OF FREEBSD

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, Francisco Morales Iraagorri wrote:
              ^^^^
Francisco, you either have a serious delay in your e-mail transmissions
(this one took over 3 years) or your system clock is incorrect.

> Hi, my name is Francisco (i speak spanish, so forgive my bad english)
> and am a new user of Unix,explicity from Linux, i have a lot of
> questions for you, please try to answer me every questions:
>
> 1.- What does the acronim BSD means?

Berkeley Software Design, I think.

> 2.- Is the FREEBSD a project from GNU?

No. FreeBSD is not from the Free Software Foundation, but can/does make use
of GNU software.

> 3.- Is FREEBSD so easy to install like Linux?

As easy as any of the major Linux distributions, if not easier.

> 4.- Does FREEBSD have so good performance and security level like Linux?

Security is arguably better.

Performance is as good (or better) in most areas, but this is hardware
dependent, and I am sure that people can provide software/hardware
combinations that prove that either OS is superior.

Bottom line is that the average user would be more than happy with the
performance of either Linux or FreeBSD for the vast majority of tasks.

> 5.- Does FREEBSD have releases in other languages like win95?

Don't know. There is support for non-English languages in some software
packages.

> 6.- Does FREEBSD have a similar structure like Linux,i.e does it have
> the same commands?

The majority of commands are similar or identical. If you know your way
around Linux, you will have few problems making the transition to FreeBSD.

> 7.- Does FREEBSD have a full documentation about
> installing&configurating system like LINUX?

Yes. There are books and web-based documentation. The FreeBSD handbook,
which is on the web site (http://www.freebsd.org/) is an excellent starting
point.

> 8.- Does FREEBSD versions for other machines like DEC,MAC,HP?

No. There is an alpha port, but if you are wanting a BSD-based UNIX on other
platforms, have a look at NetBSD (http://www.netbsd.org/) or OpenBSD
(http://www.openbsd.org/).

Cheers
Graeme

- --
Graeme Cross -- Water Studies Centre, Monash University

Random thought #8 (Collect all 218)
"It was the dawn of the third age of mankind..."