Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:40:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_add and /var/db/pkg directory name bug

Kris Kennaway writes:
> > [ FYI I don't subscribe to this list so please CC: me on any replies.
> >   Also, my apologies if this is already known and/or fixed. ]
> >
> > I have two machines updated to 4.7-PRERELEASE as of a few days ago.
> > Both machines have a CVS updated ports tree.
> >
> > I built and installed some ports on machine A, then created packages
> > from these installed ports via "pkg_create -b foo-1.2.3". Then I copied
> > the resulting tarballs to machine B and installed them with the command
> > "pkg_install foo-1.2.3.tgz".
> >
> > The problem is that the directory created in /var/db/pkg is named
> > "foo-1.2.3.tbz" instead of "foo-1.2.3" .. is that correct? It seems
> > to make the package not be found when looked for as a dependency.
>
> Sounds like a lingering .tgz -> .tbz changeover bug.  Any chance you
> can debug it further?

I don't have time to right now, but will if/when I get a chance.
I'm not familiar at all with that code so it would take me some
time to do any useful debugging.

There's got to be somebody who knows more about this stuff out
there that can fix this easily. Just use the recipie I gave for
reproducing it.

This would be nice to fix before the ports freeze :-)

-Archie