Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 15:15:59 -0500
From:      David Ward <David@intelemedia.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   apache_1.3.9.tar.gz VS apache_1.3.9+ssl_1.37.tar.gz

Yet another snag, I swear I will get apache up and running if it kills me...

The History, I've got freeBSD installed with a minimal ports collection, but
I did select apache-1.3.9 to be installed..
now ordinarily this wouldn't be a huge problem as I've been reading Greg's
book, and to install the tar.gz file I should
have to go to /usr/ports/www/apache13 and do a make install (I've got all 4
install cd's, and even have the correct
one mounted (cd #2))

unfortunately, make install runs Makefile in the /usr/ports/www/apache13
directory which calls for a file called
apache_1.3.9.tar.gz unfortunately the only file that is similar that I can
find on any of the cd's is
apache_1.3.9+ssl_1.37.tar.gz...apparently all the ftp sites referenced in
Makefile don't have that file either, and
the result is not a terribly heartening one...

needless to say, one file ain't the other...I tried editing Makefile to call
apache_1.3.9+ssl_1.37.tar.gz and initially it
works so long as i specify:

make NO_CHECKSUM=yes install

but then it starts asking me for files to patch...and at that point I once
again have no clue...

If anyone can help me out with this, I promise to think about naming my
first born in your honor :)

David Ward
"I've found that luck is quite predictable. If you want
more luck, take more chances. Be more active. Show up more often."
        - Brian Tracy
Network Administrator
Intelemedia Communications, Inc.