Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:49:07 -0500
From:      mh <mheyes@comcast.net>
To:        "Walter <walterk1"@earthlink.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mac can't connect to Internet

On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, at 03:55 PM, mheyes@lincolnfp.com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:12:25 -0500
> From: Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: Mac can't connect to Internet
>
> Hi,
>
>    I was wondering what the resolution was to this, as
> I (a *nix "newbie") am trying to accomplish a very
> similar thing: OS 10.1 via hub to a Pentium running
> FBSD 4.6.2 to a cable-modem internet connection.
> I can't get past the FBSD box from the Mac though
> the FBSD box can see the internet just fine. (The
> firewall is disabled. And I can ping, telnet, & FTP
> from the Mac to FBSD just fine.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Walter
>
> Alex wrote:
>
>> Friday, October 18, 2002, 6:31:35 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> I added a Powerbook, OS X, to the local network, configured
>>> /etc/hosts
>>> and /etc/resolv.conf. PB can ping the other boxes ok, but can't see
>>> the
>>> Internet. The other boxes can ping the PB ok. Looks like a firewall
>>> problem. If I connect the PB to the cable modem directly, the PB
>>> connects ok.
>> <snip>
>>
>> Is the mac able to use the internet without the firewall? (Remove the
>> firewall lines from rc.conf with '#' and try loading the GENERIC
>> kernel at the kernel prompt). If so reboot and change the
>> *deny/block/ect* line of the firewall and add the 'log' keyword(man
>> ipfw to find out how to use this) to each of them. Check
>> /var/log/security if you can see the mac being blocked by your
>> firewall. (It will tell you what rule blocked your mac).
>>
>> I hope this is helpful, if not send me the output of 'ipfw s' and
>> 'tail -n 100 /var/log/security' and i'll take a look.
>>
>>> What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
>>
>>> Michael Heyes

Sorry, I thought I had included the list when I replied previously.
This is a bad thing when I have problems with a Mac mail program, eh?

The solution for me was to include the ip address to the gateway box in
the "router" box that is in the Network settings. Once I told the Mac
where to send/receive packets things worked fine. On Mac side, check
the network settings to be sure that you are setting the ethernet
manually, and that you specify the router address. Sounds like
everything else is ok for you.

Again, sorry for not including the list...

Michael Heyes