Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 22:15:12 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to reset an fxp ethernet interface

>Is there anyway to get more stats out of the interface on the FreeBSD end
>of things that you or anyone knows of ?

   The only thing you can find out currently is what mode the card is set
to - auto or forced 10/100 half/full. When it is set to auto, the hardware
does the negotiation and FreeBSD doesn't know about it. In the auto case it
would be possible to add additional code that asks the hardware what mode
it is currently in, but even with that, we don't have an established way of
reporting that information.
   It sounds to me like the hardware isn't negotiating the duplex properly.
The PHY (physical interface) will default to half duplex if the negotiation
fails. If the switch is hard configured for full duplex, then you'd have a
problem.

-DG

David Greenman