Date:      Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:43:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        "Lefty G." <lefty@area51.stjohns.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem problems...

Sounds like your modem is doing what it is set up to do. Unless you
disable fax, I think, USR modems will try to negotiate fax first then
fall back to other modes. Check your modem manual against your current
settings. (ATI4) Set your modem to reset after carrier drop (probably
&D3) and/or extend disconnect times. If you don't use fax, disable it
completely.

Set your default profile (ATW0) to restore the modem to a known state
on reset -- which means storing what you want in profile 0 or 1 and
setting Y? accordingly. Look at the init strings used by your DOS
tools. That should give you an idea of what you need.

-- Jay