Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:20:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PIIX4?

Jon Hamilton wrote:

> } > check your BIOS configuration...  Mine (ASUS motherboard) has an item calle
> } d "AC Power
> } > Loss Restart", it's default is to leave the system off after the power is r
> } eapplied.  I
> } > always change this so that my servers come back on after a power loss.
> } I actually keep it on off.  After a power failure I don't also want
> } several circuit breakers to go off due to an enormous power surge.
> I've heard people worry out loud about that at times, but I've never
> had it happen, and don't know anyone who has had it happen.  Besides,

Happened to me.  Scheduled power outage in our office building on a
Saturday.  We powered off all PC's and pulled out all the plugs.  In the
end, the block with my workstation (a Sun) kept breaking because three Sun
21" monitors did the same soft poweroff trick.

> } Most ATX-based motherboards are real bad in this respect, sucking
> } kilowatts of power when they get plugged in, and no way to disable this
> } (no real on/off switch).
> Kilowatts?  Hardly.

Think a room filled with Gateway PC's :-)

	-- Niels.