Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 16:22:24 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        "Max Clark" <max.clark@yipinet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console on serial port?

>I am in the process of compiling a kernel for one of my FreeBSD machines and
>I would like to put the console on the serial port. How do you do this?
>
>The current line is
>device    sc0    at isa? tty

That's just the console driver.  You want to affect the console device
selection logic.  There seems to be more than one way to do this.  My
favorite is to create a file named /boot.config with it's only contents
being "-P".  This sets you up to use the graphics screen if the kernel
detects a keyboard is plugged in, otherwise it uses the serial port.

See boot(8) for details, in particular the section named Boot flags.

-Mitch