Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 14:23:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Subject:   Re: POSIX Conformance (Unanswered in "questions" so I forwarded...)

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Pedro Giffuni S. wrote:
>
> > POSIX was one of the objectives behind 4.4BSD. Will FreeBSD follow this
> > tendency? Is it posible to follow it, or BSD is just too different from
> > POSIX?
>
> It's not too far away.  I seem to remember that the NetBSD folks have
> evaluated their degree of standard compliance (or was it
> `conformance'?), and they don't look that bad.  FreeBSD is probably a
> little more behind.
>
> We need people tracking this down.

Terry Lambert said not too long ago that he had installed the TET
framework (required for the POSIX conformance suite) and the POSIX suite
itself, but we haven't heard anything from him since.  If he could post
information on how to acquire these two items, I'd be happy to try running
the test suite on -current, although I only have a 486DX4/100 at home, so
if it takes an unreasonable amount of CPU time, I may have to wait and
install FreeBSD on a Pentium at work.

-- Jake