Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 15:09:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Aleksey Zvyagin <zal@rest.ru>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Stephen Wynne wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980313193002.19404U-100000@gdi.uoregon.edu>,
> Doug White writes:
>
>     Speaking of FAQ, it may be useful to do some preemptive customer support
>     and add a FAQ question for it [the new slice bits].
>
> Oh, and regarding cvs-up documentation in general, I think that
> a strong pointer in /usr/src/README to
> http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
> (which is actually referenced from http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html) would
> be *very* useful. I had already begun my first cvsup by the time I found
> this. (I was lucky to have picked most of the right things to do already,
> and the defaults worked out nicely for me.)

I think that link has migrated to www.freebsd.org/tutorials/.  I like the
idea though; care to volunteer a prototype README?  :-)

> Also, the tutorial could point to the latest warnings about each
> release. I had to get subscribed to freebsd-latest to start getting
> an idea what was really happening, and I think this isn't exactly
> what the average user wants to do.

Ideally, that's what the RELNOTES.TXT file is for.  Of course, nobody
reads those files :(

> perhaps a continually-updated webpage with issues raised there would
> be better. Maybe this would take too much time for the engineers involved
> with maintaining the release. In that case, I apologize and retract
> my suggestion.

-stable, like -current, is a dynamic animal.  In an ideal universe, no one
would bring in potentially-breaking changes into -stable without lots of
fanfare.  It would be nice to have a webpage but even -stable changes too
fast to keep it accurate. The handy thing about mailing lists is that they
stay current with the pace of development.

An enterprising person could keep tabs on -stable and set up a web page
copying all the major announcements to that page.  I don't think the
actual developers could keep this up, but another close -stable monitor
could.

> And I think there should be a default cvsup file in /usr/src that
> lets people stay on *-stable with comments that contain a cron(8)
> script that people can cut and paste to begin using.

I'm waiting for send-pr to start up on your box :)

> One final suggestion: we need better information about how long it
> will take us to do various CVS operations. Perhaps cvsup could
> be modified to provide this, or estimates for 28.8, 56k, and T1
> speeds in a table of operations could be provided. I know this
> is a FAQ from spending some time on EFNet's #java IRC channel.

This depends on a per-person basis.  Estimating speeds of network links is
bound to get you in trouble.  Rough estimates of `worldstone' speeds by
CPU would be good web fodder, though.

> My reaction to the FreeBSD documentation is more or less ``it's all there,
> but finding it is non-intuitive sometimes.'' If I sound like I'm
> complaining, I'm not. I'm very happy, in fact. I've been around long
> enough to know that FreeBSD is a superbly organized effort.

And depends on tons of volunteerism. >>:->  If you want to see it, submit
it.