Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        jackh@ballistic.com (Jack Harris)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which is better

Jack Harris wrote:

> Dear programmers,
>
> Which is better for a server in an ISP.  FreeBSD 2.1 or The latest ver of
> Linux?  And why is it better.  Some people I know keep insisting how much
> they LOVE Linux.  Please Help Me out.

	ISP == networking.

	FreeBSD network code is substanially better than linux

	ISP -> lots of users (processes)

	FreeBSD context switch time is flat.
	Linux has an exponentially rising curve.
	the lines met at ~20 processes.
	with X and only one user i have 52 processes running at the moment.

	this is based upon the paper presented at usenix '96
	"http://plastique.stanford.edu/~laik/benchmarks/index.html"
	i have heard linux users complain about this paper being
	flawed.  never have i heard what the flaws are.  hmmm...

jmb

ps.	yes, i am biased.

--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG