Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:52:06 +0200
From:      Olivier Cortes <olive@deep-ocean.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 01:34:13PM -0700, nathan@corp.wac.com wrote:
> hi, what would i need to do to upgrade my freebsd machine from 4.2 to 4.3
> and get to keep all of my settings/configurations?
> i'm pretty new to this.. and ideas or links to pages that could explain in
> more detail?

the most convenient way (for me) is to use cvsup.
you must install cvsup-bin-16.1.tgz from your CD or a freebsd mirror,
and read the example file /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile.

you'll find doc in the handbook too ! there is a section for cvsup.

when you're done with it, we can start the longest phase:

recompiling:

a good schema :

# cd /usr/src
# (cvsup phase)
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC (or
KERNCONF=MY_BEAUTIFUL_KERNEL_CONFIG if you've set up a custom kernel)
# make buildworld
# if the last 2 phase finish OK:
# make installkernel
# make installworld
# mergemaster

mergemaster will help you keeping your actual config, and merging
config files (old and new). if you want to merge, i can't help you
because i never merge (i don't know how to use the merge utility, any
help apreciated on that topic :) ) config files.

# reboot and enjoy your new FreeBSD-STABLE :)

there are lots of things you can do between phases, like tweaking
make.conf, but you must read the handbook sections before
proceeding. What i gave to to you is an overview. it is not a complex
task, but you must be carefull of what you do.

olive

---
Olivier Cortes
free software admin