Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 17:30:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Jeff <jlr@soltec.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!  I'm a total Newbie!

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Jeff wrote:

> Hello, I'd like to install FreeBSD on my current PC.  I have a Pentium
> Pro 200, 64 M RAM, etc.  I have about 7 GB HDD, with 6 of it divided up
> on one hard drive.  Basically, I have three available partitions that
> are logical to the primary DOS partition.  (I think that's how I did
> it.)  It may be a primary, with the extended partition housing the
> logicals.  At any rate, do I need to do anything special to one of these
> partitions prior to installation of FreeBSD on it?

FreeBSD cannot be installed in Logical DOS partitions.  It uses a
partition of it's own type.  You will need to rearrange your drive's
partitions prior to doing this.  (And you should learn some terminology
before hand as well.  It's unclear to me just exactly how many physical
drives you have.)  If that last 1G is completely free (Not a partition of
any type) then you can install FreeBSD without having to change a thing.