Date:      Tue, 27 Dec 1994 21:00:25 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        obiwan!bob@uudell.us.dell.com (Bob Willcox)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (freebsd-hackers)
Subject:   Re: Install tape format??

> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> >
> > Read the release notes!  Read the release notes! :-)
>
> Hmm, I still can't find any reference to the expected tape format.

>From the release notes:

3. QIC/SCSI Tape Installation.

Installing from tape is probably the easiest method, short of an
on-line install using ftp or installing from a CDROM.  The installation
program expects the files to be simply tar'red onto the tape, so after
getting all of the files for distribution you're interested in, simply
tar them onto the tape with something like:

	cd <where the *.?? files are>
	tar cvf /dev/rwt0 (or /dev/rst0) .

from a directory with just the distribution files in it.  Make sure
that you remember to put CKSUMS, do_cksum.sh, and extract.sh files
in this directory as well!

If you wish to install multiple *dist releases from one tape, do the
following:

1. cd to the parent directory of the distributions and put them on tape
   like so:
		tar cvf /dev/rwt0 (or /dev/rst0) bindist srcdist ...

2. Install the first distribution on the tape using the tape installation
   method as normal.  Afterwards, *do not* erase the contents of the temporary
   directory.  Get a shell with ESC-ESC and cd to the temporary directory
   yourself.  For each additional *dist you want to load, cd to its
   subdirectory and type `sh ./extract.sh'.

I don't know how we can make it any plainer than that!  Are you SURE
you read the release notes? :-)

					Jordan