Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:45:29 -0700
From:      Matt_Murphy@mail.amsinc.com
To:        FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   ix0

I had an Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 PCI LAN Adapter which I could not get up
and running on my FreeBSD box.  After several kind responses and email
dialogs (thanks folks!) I came to the conclusion that there was no FreeBSD
driver for this NIC and I should change to a supported Intel NIC (Intel
EtherExpress 16 or an Intel EtherExpress 100/B PCI card).  I pulled the
Pro/10 PCI card and I installed an "Intel EtherExpress LAN Adapter" (non
PCI) which I'm guessing is a "16".

My understanding (from various sources) is that the device I want is ix0 at
isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0dx0000 iosiz 32768 vector ixintr.  Low
and behold, while this device definition appears in GENERIC kernal config
on releases prior to v2.2.2 it does not appear in GENERIC (or LINT for that
matter) on my v2.2.2.

So, I thought I'd create a new kernel that contains it.  I added
aforementioned driver to MYKERNAL (copy of GENERIC tuned to my system per
the manual...). Following the steps I found in the FAQ along with my (older
version) of the installation manual,  I did a make depend which appears to
have worked.  Then I did a make all. During make all I get the following
(in bold):

ioconf.o: Undefined symbol '_ixdriver' referenced from data segment

ioconf.o: Undefined symbol '_ixintr' referenced from data segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I have two questions:

1) Why is ix0 not in the out-of-the-box v2.2.2 kernel as it seems to be in
all previous versions of FreeBSD and is ostensibly still required for
anyone with an Intel EtherExpress card.

2) What is wrong with my attempt at adding it now?  Is there more to it
than adding the above line to the kernel config file and rebuilding the
kernel?

Any insights would be appreciated,

Sincerely,
Getting close to bagging this and forking out the cash for SCO or is this
supposed to be the fun part?
(aka Matt Murphy)