Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2001 14:59:37 -0800
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - windows wavelan interop

Your message <20010207173818.G12123@pir.net>:

>the most recent windows drivers use a different ad-hoc mode. Downgrade
>to the old drivers if you want this to work right now.
Peter,

what do you mean by a "different" ad-hoc mode?  It's bad enough
that there are "two modes" (BSS and ad hoc) the way things are.
Do you mean that Lucent decided that 802.11 was not proprietary
enough to suit them?

There is something going on out there in Lucent land.
Lucent decided that a firmware update was needed for some reason,
and e.g., linux drivers < lucent v6.00 will not work with cards that have
had the firmware update made to them.  If you didn't actually use
the windows drivers, you may not have noticed that.  This can
cause "no lights".  On the other hand, I just tried a firmware
updated card with BSD 4.2/wi0 and Bill's driver didn't care about it,
firmware update or no.  Still worked.

				regards,

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu