Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mudman <mudman@R181204.resnet.ucsb.edu>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Security Announcements?

> Well if you want the latest security fixes you shouldn't be running a
> -release anyway, that's that the -stable branch is for.

This may be a new attitude in security.  I should think *any* system
released for common use should have the greatest amount of security
possible.

If one system is (in terms of security) inferior to another, the inferior
one should be dropped all together.

I guess I'm being naive here, but not intetionally.  I really don't know.
What would be the fundamental difference between the release and stable
branches?  Why would one branch run less secure than another, especially
if both are used in server systems world wide?