Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:54:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mats Dufberg <dufberg@sunet.se>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, scott@computeralt.com
Subject:   Re: Alias to null?

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, David Wolfskill wrote:

> >I would like to set up a dummy account that, should any email be sent to
> >it, it gets simply discarded and does not pile up.  However, it's important
> >that POP3 access still work on this account... I just never want messages
> >to be present to be picked up :) (long story).  Is there a way in
> >/etc/aliases to alias the dummy account to /dev/null or similar?
>
> So....  Sounds as if doing precisely what you suggest is in order:
>
> In /etc/aliases:
>
> dummy:	/dev/null
>
> And create an empty mailbox:
>
> # touch /var/mail/dummy
> # chown dummy /var/mail/dummy
> # chmod 0600 /var/mai/dummy

Most (?) POP servers requires "dummy" to be a valid user, it doesn't need
any shell (set /bin/false) or home directory (don't make any and set it to
/dev/null).

Mats Dufberg
KTHNOC, KTH, S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
Telefon/Phone:  +46-8+790 83 46  Fax: +46-8-10 25 10
Email: dufberg@sunet.se
SUNET:s www-katalog: http://www.sunet.se/sweden/main-sv.html