Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:06:29 -1000 (HST)
From:      David Langford <langfod@maui.net>
To:        sgasch@microsoft.com (Scott Gasch)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What snapshot does aout-to-elf work on?

>Hi there,
>
>I have been trying to convert a 3.0 system from aout to elf format.  I tried
>to build a make aout-to-elf on last night's sources and the thing dies after
>it has moved the aout libraries and before it has installed the elf
>libraries (leaving the system a total mess, of course).
>
>What's the deal with this and what snapshot has a stable aout-to-elf build?
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

You dont say why it dies or what version you are using but a few hints
from the gotchas I found:

1) Go ahead and CVSUP current.
2) Be SURE that you are also getting src-tools (or the whole tree)
3) do a "make world" for aout.
4) Make a new kernel with latest code. You may wish to make a new config
   file- I tend to use LINT as a template.
 -Reboot-
5) check that "/etc/make.conf" is using nothing higher than -O as
   anything higher breaks some of the ELF ojects.
6) "make aout-to-elf"

Couple of odd things the aout-to-elf move will move almost all of your
shared libraries but it doesnt move all of the symbolic links to
the library files. Also it wont update the /var/db/pkg +CONTENTS files
so pkg_delete will not work right.

-David Langford