Date:      Sun, 01 Sep 1996 23:19:06 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: large files in /stand

> On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Jim Riffle wrote:
>
> > There is no real problem except for the files in my /stand directory are
> > huge.  A ls -l in /stand gives results like this:
> >
> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 chmod
> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 chown
> > -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  bin    802816 Nov 18  1995 cksum
>
> This is perfectly normal.  /stand is really a gigantic hardlinked binary.
> If you want, you can just delete it if it annoys you.

     No, this is not "normal".  If you look at the above ls(1) output,
you'll see that all of the links have become broken; /stand is no longer
a few gigantic hardlinked binaries.  I'm sure that this is an artifact
of how the files were copied ("cp -R" doesn't preserve hard links, and
so that's what was probably used).

> > And a du /stand gives this:
> >
> > 204	/stand/help
> > 13	/stand/etc
> > 2	/stand/info/proflibs
> > 5	/stand/info/des
> > 2	/stand/info/games
> > 2	/stand/info/manpages
> > 3	/stand/info/bin
> > 2	/stand/info/dict
> > 2	/stand/info/info
> > 18	/stand/info/src
> > 37	/stand/info
> > 43884	/stand
> >
> > This isn't a real problem, but I sure could use those extra 40 megs it has
> > claimed.
>
> No, it's more like a meg or so.  It's counting each binary as 802k, which
> they aren't.

     Uh, no -- du(1) doesn't re-count linked binaries.  Assuming that
your system has a proper /stand, a "du /stand" will probably report a
couple of megs (at least, under 2.2-snap-960801).  Contrast this to the
43MB shown in the above du(1) output.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.