Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:15:24 +0200
From:      Johan van Selst <johans@stack.nl>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: smalltalk-3.0.5

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Given the backwards compatibility issues, might it be worthwhile
> to create a new smalltalk31 or smalltalk-devel port, or rename
> the current port to something like smalltalk30x, so that the
> older version can remain available for use with older programs?

Well, 3.1 is not really a development branch: it is clearly intended to
be the next stable branch. The first release might not have been
perfect, but the author has made it clear that 3.1 is 'the way forward'
and that the 3.0 branch will be discontinued.

I will happily make a separate branch if there is even one smalltalk
user who wants to keep 3.0.x around (if you read this: please respond).
But otherwise I'm inclined to just drop 3.0 in the near future and let
people convert their programs.

For those interested, check out the 'Incompatible changes' section on
	http://smalltalk.gnu.org/news/gnu-smalltalk-3-1

Regards,
Johan

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq