Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:19:54 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lowercase attribute names [Was: Re: small fix in the new-users article]

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:43:20PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 01:08:48PM +0200, Marco Trentini wrote:
> >=20
> > In the last commit I've noted URL in upper case.
>=20
> It seems that both <ulink url=3D".."> and <ulink URL=3D".."> are valid,
> and both of them are used quite often throughout the whole articles/
> and books/ directories.  According to "DocBook: The Definitive Guide",
> in SGML DocBook all element and attribute names are case-insensitive, so
> it's okay to keep them that way.

Always read the FDP first :)
All attribute examples use lower cases; the lowercase need is not
mentioned but examples can be used as information regarding the "right
way."  Nowadays, "quite all" *ML things use lowercase for attributes.

> However, Norman Walsch does warn that lowercase names should be used for
> XML DocBook.  I'm not sure what the FreeBSD Documentation Project's
> stance is on XML compatibility and on eventually moving to XML DocBook;
> if this is the goal, then at some point we should do a search-and-replace
> over most of the project's documents, since there are quite a few
> URL=3D".." attributes all over the place.  What do people think about tha=
t?
>=20

Well we should be consistent in our code, just to prevent someone to
think uppercase is what to use.  Since there are few "guilty" attributes, it
should be fixed.

Marc

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--