Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:02:39 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Simple DNS Question(Kinda :) )

Hi,
	I'm trying to put the finishing touches on our new name servers, but I've
run into a small problem. I'm trying to get the domain
bswift.com(www.bswift.com works correctly, just bswift.com doesn't) to
point to cluster.bswift.com without using the IP address. We have a lot of
domains, and we are in the process of changing ISP's so I'd like to be able
to just change the address of cluster.bswift.com and not have to edit all
domain files. My problem is that the I'tried;

	IN 	CNAME 	 cluster.bswift.com

(after the cluster.bswift.com record) and get an error and many other ways,
but the only way I can get this to work is with what I have below, with;

bswift.com	IN	CNAME 	cluster.bswift.com.

But I get bswift.com.bswift.com, is this an error I can live with??? Or is
there a better way of doing this?....

> bswift.com
Server:  phc-40.chi.platinumhealth.com
Address:  209.119.45.40

Name:    cluster.bswift.com
Address:  209.119.45.57
Aliases:  bswift.com.bswift.com

Any suggestions???   Thanks....

$TTL 60
@               IN      SOA     bswift.com. root.ns3.bswift.com.  (
                                2000070638      ;Serial
                                7200            ;Refresh
                                1200            ;Retry
                                604800          ;Expire
                                60 )            ;time to live

                IN      NS      ns3.bswift.com.
                IN      NS      ns1.bswift.com.
                IN      MX      5  mail.bswift.com.

ns3             IN      A       64.16.214.140
ns1             IN      A       209.119.45.40
cluster         IN      A       209.119.45.57
localhost       IN      A       127.0.0.1

bswift.com      IN      CNAME   cluster.bswift.com.
www             IN      CNAME   cluster.bswift.com.

Jonathan E. Lyons
parrothd@midwest.net
ICQ # 14226912
A+, MCSE, CCNA, FreeBSD!