Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:30:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Thomas Veldhouse <veldy@visi.com>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATA Problem?  Fallback to PIO

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Soren Schmidt wrote:

>=20
> Hmm, the WDC WD200BA disk does UDMA66 doesn't it ??
> The VIA 82C686 has support for this, but its very "generous" in setting
> it. Form the above I'd guess you dont have a 80lead cable on those
> disks ?? What does the BIOS say about the disk modes on boot ??
> A dmesg from a verbose boot would be nice... Also what mobo is this ?
> I guess the VIA has decided to run UDMA66 which wont work without
> the right cable...

This is a compaq special motherboard (5868 series).  If I would have known
what I as getting, I wouldn't have bought the computer.  The BIOS offers
nearly nothing in the way of options.  I do know it uses a VIA chipset and
the AMD 751 chipset.  I don't really have more specifics other than what
you see in the dmesg. I will get you a verbose dmesg tonight.  I will also
see what BIOS settings are available.  I do believe all of them are set to
auto for the IDE interfaces.=20

I do believe the drive is UDMA66 capable - but I never looked into it.
Perhaps I should get a different cable.  Ironically, Linux drops that
drive to PIO.

> Because ATAPI DMA is disabled as default (the old driver didn't even have
> DMA support for ATAPI devices), see lint how to enable it.
>=20
> -S=F8ren
>=20

Cool.  Real CD performance.