Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 01:39:01 BST
From:      Michael Ryan <mike@NetworX.ie>
To:        FreeBSD Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Executing a program after iijppp activates the link

Hi all,

I've just configured dial-on-demand user-mode ppp and it's excellent!
Works really well.

I've got just one problem: the link will be going down and up
intermittently, as it's dial-on-demand and I've set an inactivity
timeout.

Whenever the links becomes active again, I need to run an external
program.  The "Pedantic PPP Primer" (http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/
ppp/ppp.html) and the manpage (ppp(1)) don't say how to do this.

Looking at /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.sample, the "pmdemand" entry has a
statement as follows:
	! sh -c "/some/program/or/other &"
This presumably executes the program in quotes (as the comments in the
file say it does).

Now, what I'd really like to know is
(a) What are the exact syntax/symantics of this statement?
(b) How does it differ from the "shell" command available from within
    ppp's prompt?  That is, could I also use
	shell "/some/prog"
    in my ppp.linkup entry?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bye,