Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:29:13 -0500
From:      Marcia Barrett Nice <mimerki@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Vishal Gandhi Kommineni" <vishal@southernonline.net>, "freebsd-newbies" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: F1 FreeBSD Default: F1

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 05:01 am, Vishal Gandhi Kommineni wrote F1
FreeBSD Default: F1:
| Hi I am a newbie to freebsd i have just installed ver 4.7 and after the
| installation without any aparent errors when the system reboots i am
| getting the below message and the machine doesent boot. Any help in this
| regard will be hightly appreciated,
|

| F1 FreeBSD
| Default: F1
|

| Vishal

You installed the FreeBSD boot manager, right?  If FreeBSD is the only
operating system on the computer, then everything is fine and you should hit
F1 or Enter (or just let it sit and it will boot on its own).

To give you a comparison, my computer comes up (my notes in curly braces{}):

F1 DOS {well, it's Win98}
F2 FreeBSD

Default: F2 {whichever I used last, usually FBSD}

So, thus far, everything is just the way it should be.

After you hit F1, it will want to pause before it loads the kernel.  There's
a reason for this, but you probably don't need to worry about it on a fresh
install.  You can let it count down or hit Enter to get the kernel to load.

Then, a long bunch of stuff will scroll up your screen.  Again this is
supposed to happen.  (I have to admit I don't usually pay too much attention
to it unless I'm trying to see if my ethernet card is working, so I can't
really tell you what most of it is.)

Then it will ask you to log in with your username and password.

And finally, you will get a Welcome to FreeBSD message and a command prompt
($).  Beyond that, you're in, and if you have problems you should feel free
to ask questions (though most questions belong on questions@freebsd.org
rather than newbies).

Welcome aboard.  FreeBSD is actually a lot of fun.

Marci

--
Oh thou of noble birth meditate upon thy own tutelary deity."
-The Tibetan Book of the Dead