Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 10:12:22 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swapper gave up on me

On 20 Oct 1999 15:22:37 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> The funny thing is that a glimpse at /var/log/messages showed this:
>
>     /kernel: swap_pager: I/O error - pagein failed; blkno 2832, \
> 	size 20480, error 22
>     /kernel: vm_fault: pager read error, pid 418 (wmaker
>
> Should I start worrying that my disk has grown "bad" blocks?  Could this be
> caused by something else, except a faulty disk area?

It would be useful to know what version of FreeBSD you're using, but
yes, B_ERROR conditions are supposed to represent I/O errors. Are you
sure you didn't see any other interesting messages preceding the ones
you saw? I ask because the error message appears to be generated
asynchonously, so there may have been something a few lines up.

The reason I mention the version of FreeBSD you're using is that my
advice is based on a quick glance at the 4.0-CURRENT code. I know it's
quite different from the RELENG_3 code. Also, my first guess was that
your "error 22" meant a bug in the swap_pager, since that's EINVAL
(invalid argument).

Ciao,
Sheldon.