Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:13:27 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        "Hansen, Preben" <Preben.Hansen@voicestream.com>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, pjbh1@home.com
Subject:   Re: Installation question

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 10:33:24AM -0800, Hansen, Preben wrote:
> I have resently invested in the FreeBSD 4.0 powerpack. But I cannot install
> it.
> I never get past the F? prombt (I have already installed Win98se).
> I did go through the FAQ to find a solution. I tried to do as it is
> described in "Which geometry should I use for a disk drive".
> Unfortunately I end up with 2549 cylinders for my 20G IDE harddisk. This is
> the lowest amount of cylinders I can set. And I can still not get past the
> F? prombt.

What do you see exactly at the F? prompt? It should look something like this
(it may be different in your case):

F1 Windows             (or DOS)
F2 FreeBSD

F?

where it is expected that you type either F1 or F2. If you do not see a
partition named 'FreeBSD' it is very unlikely that you can ever boot it;
in that case something went wrong during installation.

If the error is after entering the function key, please tell us more
details about messages you see.

Did you ever boot to Windows after installing FreeBSD? Because normally the
F? looks like F1 or F2, depending on what you last booted.

Karel.