Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 2014 01:38:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Andrew Berg <aberg010@my.hennepintech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: initialise ports tree (WAS: long string using find and "-exec ls -ls" to find part-of filename)

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 526, Issue 6, Message: 7
On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 17:42:26 -0500 Andrew Berg <aberg010@my.hennepintech.edu> wrote:

 > On 2014.07.03 17:39, Polytropon wrote:
 > > The functionality toward the "end user" is comparable, even
 > > though certain things are easier to achieve with SVN. That's
 > > why I'd like to see a csup-like "replacement" be part of the OS,
 > > or at least a stub a la "base pkg" which pulls in the actual
 > > program at first use.

 > svnlite (which is enough to get source for base, ports, and doc)
 > is included in 10. I'd be a bit surprised if it didn't get added to 9.3.

md0     vnode    1663M  /home/smithi/FreeBSD-9.3-RC2-amd64-dvd1.iso
/dev/md0                /mnt                    cd9660  ro              0 0
# ll /mnt/packages/freebsd:9:x86:64/All | egrep 'subv|svn'
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   2559112 Jun 21 08:57 subversion-1.8.8_1.txz
-rw-------  1 root  wheel   6216732 Jun 21 23:20 subversion-static-1.8.8_1.txz

(though packages on the dvd aren't final at RC2; eg no KDE there yet)

I doubt that svnlite is 'lite' when compared to port|pkg net/svnup:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  45736 Jun 25 02:48 /usr/local/bin/svnup
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  18984 Apr 26 07:49 /usr/ports/distfiles/svnup-1.05.tar.xz

>From its homepage at http://jcm.dsl.visi.com/freebsd/svnup :

"net/svnup is a lightweight, dependency-free, BSD licensed program to
pull source files from an Apache Subversion server. In much the same way
that csup and cvsup were used to checkout source code before the
deprecation of CVS at FreeBSD.org, svnup was written for sysadmins who
only need to keep a local source tree in sync and who don't want or need
the extra overhead that the official svn client leaves behind."

svnup has a big advantage for people who don't want (or can't spare) the
doubling in disk space that svn requires in overhead for /usr/src - and
for /usr/ports if you use svn for ports rather than the more economical
portsnap.  Installing ports from bsdinstall originally also gets you the
double-sizing of an .svn directory, which svnup doesn't use.  Of course
if you are developing for src or ports you'll need to use svn-heavy :)

svnup may run slower than svn, but 'svnup stable' using https updated my
9.2-R sources to stable/9 10 days ago in about 8 minutes, fine by me.

Additional overhead is slight; the first below is now expendable:
% ll -h /var/tmp/svnup/*
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   3.5M Apr 16 19:24 /var/tmp/svnup/release
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   3.6M Jun 25 03:45 /var/tmp/svnup/stable

cheers, Ian