Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:52:30 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Christopher S. Weimann" <cweimann@wallnet.com>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pkg_add and 2 CDs

> > Are there any plans to enhance pkg_add to cope with the packages now
> > (well for some time now) being split across 2 CDs?
> >
> > Last night it failed on both enlightenment and gimp because some of
> > the dependencies were on the other CD. I had to make a note of the
> > offending items, change the CD, install them, change the CD back, and
> > finally install the parent package(s).
>
> I just went through EXACTLY the same thing last night.  Same two
> packages even, enlightenment and gimp.

There are a couple of simple workarounds if you have certain
resources.  If you have a second machine with a CDROM somewhere
on your LAN, you can just mount the third CD there, NFS mount it
on the machine where you're installing, and symlink things in
the obvious manner.

If you're stuck with only one CDROM, but have 300 MB free on
some disk, you can mount the third CD, copy the packages to your
disk, then mount the first CD, do some symlinks again, and away
you go.

Both these methods work and are easy to setup.  Of course, if
you don't have a spare CDROM or a spare 300 MB of disk, you're
dead in the water and you'll have to wait for the enhanced
version of pkg_add.

In case it's not clear, my references to the third CD reflect
the distribution of 2.2.8 from Walnut Creek where the third CD
has a smaller set of packages than the first CD.  If you're
using a different distribution or release, you'll need to check
the details for your case.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>