Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 01:24:47 -0700
From:      4Front Technologies <dev@opensound.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, conrads@cox.net
Subject:   Re: Does anyone compose music using any of theportsfromthe/ports/audio collection in FreeBSD?

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:01:30PM +0400, Dmitriy Startsev wrote:

> If I could, I would.  That's just way beyond my skill level, I'm afraid.
> Porting something like ALSA and/or JACK over to FreeBSD would, I'm sure, be
> a monumental undertaking.  I don't think a single individual could do it on
> his own.

Jack is already ported to OSS APIs on FreeBSD. Check out:
http://www.freshports.org/audio/jack/

The author of Jack on OSS,  Jussi Laako
(http://www.sonarnerd.net/projects/jack_oss.html) claims that Jack on
OSS drivers (MAudio Delta44) has better latency and performance than
Jack on the ALSA drivers.

If you talk to the author of Jack, he would tell you not to program to
ALSA (or OSS) APIs and use his API.

Looks like if Jack is the hottest thing happening to audio on Linux then
FreeBSD users already have access to Jack apps on FreeBSD.

best regards

Dev Mazumdar

4Front Technologies
4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
Tel: (310) 202 8530		URL: www.opensound.com
Fax: (310) 202 0496 		Email: info@opensound.com