Date:      13 Jul 1996 04:48:09 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for remote dump suggestion

In article <199607130704.AAA00517@starshine>,
Jim Dennis  <jim@starshine.org> wrote:
: Trust should flow the *other* direction
: (rather than allowing ux1 to initiate processes
: on admin, allow admin to initiate processes on
: ux1 -- and use a command like:
:
:         you@admin$ rsh -l root ux1 'dump ...' | dd ... of=/dev/rmt0

Yeah. Like I said, Silly Me for not thinking of that.

: (note this is rough since I always have to look  up the
: parameters to dump and I don't know your blocksizes, tape's
: device name, etc, would be).

Actually, I've decided not to use dump. The main reason is that I
don't want to fully dump certain file systems so I really need to
filter the path names. So it's find...-print0 | cpio -0 instead.
Maybe in my Copious Spare Time I'll look at making dump not
descend into a specified list of directories. Do any dump gurus
have a feel for how difficult that would be?

: My other suggestion is tcp_wrappers.  You should configure
: admin so that it won't allow logins from ux1 at all.

I've had the TCP wrappers installed since day one. At the moment,
they let me in from ux1 but that's because I'm in the midst of
tightening security. We started out "reasonably secure" but as
we're growing we'd like to become "OK, do your damndest" secure.
:-) Lotsa changes are needed to even begin to approach that; this
dump thing is just one of them.

: (I also hope that you have an anti-spoofing screen on your
: router).

H*ll yes! I didn't hook up the first T1 until I had access lists
blocking all our network addresses. Saved my bacon a couple of
times -- I've twice had massive IP spoof attacks.