Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 10:43:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        morgan@odo.elan.af.mil (Jon P. Morgan)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Atlantis Motherboard

> I have an Intel Atlantis Motherboard with a 133 MHZ CPU.
> During boot, The console screen goes out during what appears
> to be device probing.
> I am able to get into device reconfiguration but the console
> will screw up before going into the debuger.
> I am running Freebsd 2.1 succesfully on my other P75.

You have a MACH64 video card, which violates the standard for
the IBM graphics card it is attempting to emulate by listening
to port 0x3e8 when it has not been put in a specific mode that
requires this.

In other words, MACH64 cards are broken.

You can work around the problem in two stages:

1)	a)	At the boot prompt, type "-c" and hit return
	b)	At the next prompt, type "visual" and hit return
	c)	Disable the SIO (serial port) driver.  The conflict
		is with the SIo probe for COM3.
	d)	Install normally.

2)	a)	Modify /sys/i386/isa/sio.c to remove 0x3e8
	b)	Rebuild and install a new kernel
	c)	Reboot.  Your serial ports, other than COM3, will
		once again be active.

This is described in the handbook and in the 2.1R FAQ.  It is fixed
in more recent install snapshots by disabling com3 to start with.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.