Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:54:51 -0600
From:      Dave Glowacki <dglo@hyde.ssec.wisc.edu>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Cc:        znerd@FreeBSD.ORG, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/32223: Port databases/mysql-jdbc-mm is quite outdated

"Koster, K.J." wrote:
> Dear Dave,
>

> > I have a version of the port which builds everything, including
> > the J2EE bits, but there's a problem.  Both the 2.0.8 and 2.0.8
> > source jar files contain corrupted jdbc2_0-stdext.jar and
> > jta-spec1_0_1.jar files; the port only builds if those files are
> > valid.
> >
> Does 2.0.7 have the right versions?

Grrr ... typo.  I *meant* to type "Both the 2.0.7 and 2.0.8 source
jars..." above.  In other words, 2.0.7 is corrupted as well.  My
guess is that the author checked the jar files into CVS as text
files, and it did some CR/NL munging.

> Perhaps we should skip 2.0.8 for this
> reason and wait for 2.0.9 to have the corrected files

That's kind of what I thought, too.

> (applying suitable pressure on the developers).

I did post a bug on the SourceForge MM.MySQL section, but haven't
heard back yet.  If I haven't heard back by Friday (one week from
when I first posted the bug) I'll send an email msg to Mark
Matthews.

While waiting for that to be resolved, an alternative would be
to update the port and mark it BROKEN due to corrupted jar files.
That way, people who really need an updated driver could download
the appropriate files from java.sun.com, do a 'make extract',
replace the corrupted jar files, then finish building the port.

> > Is there any easy way around this other than to make ports for
> > those two files?  I'm reluctant to do that because the original
> > Sun distributions of those files must be downloaded by hand,
> > although it's legal to redistribute them.
> >
> Maybe just mirror them somewhere or add them to the files section. How large
> are they?

Really small.  jdbc2_0-stdext.jar is 6.7K and jta-spec1_0_1.jar is 8.7K
However, there are licensing issues.

In order to download them I agreed to a license with the usual
"don't decompile, don't sue us, don't break any laws" clauses,
as well as a "license to distribute" which says we must:

  i) distribute the Software complete and unmodified in its
     original Java Archive file, and only bundled as a part
     of your program that incorporates the Software ("Program")
  (ii) do not distribute additional software intended to replace
     any component(s) of the Software
  (iii) agree to incorporate the most current version of the
     Software that was available from Sun no later than 180 days
     prior to each production release of the Program
  (iv) do not remove or alter any proprietary legends or notices
     contained in or on the Software
  (v) only distribute the Program pursuant to a license
     agreement that protects Sun's interest consistent with the
     terms contained in the Agreement
  (vi) may not create, or authorize your licensees to create
     additional classes, interfaces, or subpackages that are
     contained in the "java", "javax" or "sun" packages or
     similar as specified by Sun in any class file naming
     convention
  (vii) agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from
     and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement
     amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred
     in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third
     party that arises or results from the use or distribution of
     any and all Programs.

Condition (i) would seem to forbid distributing the jar files
as stand-alone objects, and I don't think we can build a
transparent port without users agreeing to (iv) through (vii)