Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:02:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMI MegaRAID datapoint.

>> The AMI MegaRAID 1400 delivers between 16.5 and 19 M/s (the 19M/s
>> value is somewhat contrived --- using 8 bonnies in parrallel and
>> then summing their results --- which is not 100% valid)... but the
>> MegaRAID appears to be stable.

Mike> Hmm.  Those numbers aren't so great though.  I'd be interested
Mike> to know how busy the controller is during your test (use systat
Mike> -vmstat 1 and look at the amrd0 device), as well as how you've
Mike> configured it.  AMI's default configurations for those
Mike> controllers is wildly inconsistent between one BIOS version and
Mike> the next.

Well... it's RAID-5 across the same 8 drives with all 8 drives on one
LVD chain (same configuration as the other test).  I have tried the
128k stripe, but it was slower than the default 64k stripe.

>> I would like to know, however, if there are any planned or
>> in-the-works utility programs for the amr device.  In particular, a
>> program to print the state of the array would be useful.

Mike> I'm currently waiting on AMI for more documentation, at which
Mike> point there will indeed be more monitoring and control
Mike> facilities added.

Dave.