Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:02:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        DrAcO <XDrAcOX@mci2000.COM>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Installing X-Windows

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 12-Jun-98, DrAcO wrote:
> I am new to the FreeBSD "enviroment", and am only 15 at the time so
> forgive me if I sound kind of  "out of it" right now.  I recently
> installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 on my laptop (Toshiba 430CDS) and am having
> trouble running X-Windows.  When X-Windows comes up, it seems like an
> older version.  When I ran RedHat Linux 4.2, my X-Windows background was
> green and it had a start menu, etc., etc.  However, my FreeBSD X-Windows
> is grey, has no start menu, and the colors are different.  The X-Term
> windows is actually white!  In X-Windows configuration, I have selected
> the right graphics card, screen resolution, and everything is correct,
> but when I startx it looks the same.  I installed FreeBSD from a
> CD-ROM.  I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what the
> problem is?

The problem's not with FreeBSD: the problem is that RedHat Linux did way
too much for you.

You see, RedHat comes with its own special set of custom window
environments, called TheNextLevel.  But FreeBSD doesn't -- it just comes
with the "default" window manager, called TWM, which, as you've seen, is
rather primitive.

But the good news is, there is a solution!!  FreeBSD comes with many
alternate window managers in the ports collection.  These can easily be
installed in place of the default, with only a few fairly easy commands.

Here are some particular favorites of mine:

* KDE -- this is my favorite, and the one I use daily.
        /usr/ports/x11/kde
* AfterStep -- a lot of people like this.  It's a NeXTstep look-alike.
  (NeXTstep is the windowing system used on the NeXT workstation)
        /usr/ports/x11/afterstep
* WindowMaker -- another NeXTstep clone.  Has its own devoted following.
        /usr/ports/x11/windowmaker
* Enlightenement -- not a clone of anything, but a really cool looking WM.
  It, too, has its own set of devoted followers.
        /usr/ports/x11/enlightenment

The probem that you mentioned is, unfortunately, a very well-known
deficiency in FreeBSD.  But it's
one that we're trying to fix!  For example, as mentioned earlier, we have
tons of window managers/environments available in hte ports collection.
But, We are also sponsoring a contest for people to actually DESIGN a
windowing environment/theme that's appropriate to FreeBSD.  We hope to be
able to distribute the "winner" as the "default" windowing theme (or, an
easily installable "alternate default").  Please see
http://www.freebsd.org/~jkh/xcontest/ for more details.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.