Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 13:02:50 -0500
From:      "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@caffeine.gerp.org>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xpm & XFree86-4

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 02:32:49AM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:

>  * 	I have currently become a little irritated with the dependency
>  * not found issue when using Xpm based ports with XFree86-4.  As well,
>  * a grep xpm /usr/ports/INDEX | wc shows 413 ports that require Xpm
>  * libraries.
>
> What is the "dependency not found issue when using Xpm based ports
> with XFree86-4"?

	This would be in regards to deinstalling the ports, they retain
the @pkgdep for xpm.  They do build just fine.

>  * 	Would it seem prudent to add a USE_XPM to bsd.port.mk to make this
>  * easier?  As well, it would then seem to have a make.conf entry for those
>  * of us who do use XFree86-4 for something like USE_XFREE86_4 which both
>  * deals with depending on /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 and eliminates xpm
>  * specific dependencies when using XFree86-4.
>
> We're planning to switch to XFree86-4 for everything except for
> servers soon.  So hopefully this will be a non-issue.

	In that case, I wouldn't mind, but would not the reverse seem
prudent.  I know there are still y server works in 3.3.6 and not 4 and z
server workds in 4 and not 3.3.6, wouldn't a USE_X336 type of deal be
convenient then?

>  * 	Anyone ever note that comment above the USE_XLIB line that doesn't
>  * make any sense in regards to the actual effect the variables have????
>
> If you are talking about these lines:
>
>  *  # Don't try to build XFree86 even if ALWAYS_BUILD_DEPENDS is defined --
>  *  # it's just too big....
>
> that's exactly what it means.  I doubt people with
> ALWAYS_BUILD_DEPENDS would appreciate all their USE_XLIB ports
> suddenly taking hours to compile....

	I think somehow out of context it makes more sense... =)

-Kevin