Date:      25 Jun 2002 10:00:38 +0200
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd && postfix

s.dale@gmx.net (Sunny Dale) writes:

> hello people,
> -i am running FreeBSD 4.4release with postfix-1.1.11.
> -in main.cf i have set myhostname/mydomain/myorigin
> -postconf -n shows me that all of those parameters are set correctly.
>
> still postfix seems to get *its hostname* from gethostname(). when i
> do "hostname <FQDN>" suddenly it starts working. i'd prefer to set the
> hostname in main.cf though.

Wietse, the author, uses Postfix as his development platform. The
symptoms you report appear to be rather strange.  Perhaps it would
help if you showed us.

From postfix stopped:
1. the output of postconf -n
2. the output of postfix start (if this is how you start postfix)
3. the log entries which show that Postfix doesn't like/use the
hostname in main.cf
4. you may need to enable debugging information in the part of Postfix
which is failing (add a -v to the entry in /etc/postfix/master.cf)

> ps. if this question is moron ignore it.

The question appears strange but you not shown _any_ information to
back up what you say, so the symptoms may be related to something
else.

Show us the output and perhaps we can determine what is happening.

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd@pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager