Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2007 19:43:49 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Martin Matuska <mm@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: re(4) lockups on a MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital (7.0-BETA3 amd64)

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 09:10:43AM +0100, Martin Matuska wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I am using a MSI K9AG Neo2-Digital (MS-7368) mainboard with 7.0-BETA3 in
> amd64 mode at a german dedicated server provider.
> The mainboard has a onboard re(4) ethernet controller. I experience a
> very strange behaiviour:
>=20
> When there are large transfers on the onboard SATA controller the re(4)
> controller starts to have packet loss.
>=20
> This packet loss does not stop when there is no more load on ata(4).
> With another high load (like doing a full-system backup) the packet loss
> keeps increasing up to 90% and more - the system is not accesible over
> the internet anymore, packets get lost, SSH sessions or http requests
> get stale, I have to restart the system.

One thing you could check is if the network cards are sharing an irq
with other hardware; "ps -xa | grep '\[irq'"

If so, you could try to enable device polling(4) with ifconfig. The
sysctl kern.polling.enable must be set to 1, and the kernel must be
compiled with 'options DEVICE_POLLING'.

Roland
--=20

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5