Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:19:56 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        "'Josef Karthauser'" <joe@pavilion.net>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Mark Thomas <thomas@clark.net>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Wayne Self <wself@cdrom.com>
Subject:   Credential storage (was RE: userland ppp - startup)

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Ladavac Marino wrote:

> > Hmm... how to do this then?  The sppp setup code in rc.* allows
> > username/password
> > to be specified.  Can it be done in the environment then?  (If rc.conf
> > is visable
> > then the sppp config gives usernames and passwords away as it stands
> > today.)
> 	[ML]  Don't know about sppp, but the only halfway secure way to
> keep this sensitive data is in a file readable by root, and having the
> program which needs it setuid root.  Sounds a lot like
> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, doesn't it?
>
> 	The secure way would be not keeping the info at all :)

You know, I wonder if it's time to look at providing a generic credential
storage registry; things like password hashes, PPP shared secrets, etc, could
be stored here instead of in lots of separate files.

So user account passwords could point to a SHA-1 hash in the registry, ppp
shared secrets would point to an NT and/or LM hash, samba accounts could have
an associated NT/LM hash, etc. More than one hash could be associated with any
given entity.

The modules which manipulate individual credentials (hashes) would be
pluggable along the lines of PAM.

What do people think - is this worth pursuing?

Kris

-----
    -- Unknown