Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:17:43 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Phil" <ReachMe@Syne-Post.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cgi errors

Phil <ReachMe@Syne-Post.com> wrote:

>So, when I go to this page I always get the
>same error message. I'm sure
>you have all seen it before;
>Internal Server Error

If this is a perl script, run it from your shell account. CGI's write to
standard output, so you should be able to see any CGI output.

Two hints:

1. Use the -w option in the first line:

    #! /usr/bin/perl -w

From the perl man page: "Whenever you get mysterious behavior, try the -w
switch!!!  Whenever you don't get mysterious behavior, try using -w anyway."

This will give you more informative error messages.

2. Remember that the first thing printed by a CGI script (other than other
HTTP headers) must be:

    print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

If the script is, say, a shell script, do this:

    #! /bin/sh

    echo Content-type: text/html
    echo
    echo

Good luck,

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!